Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kemback, Old Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kemback, Old Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 32944

Site Number NO41NW 7

NGR NO 41722 15108

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32944

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kemback
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO41NW 7.00 41722 15108

NO41NW 7.01 4173 1509 Burial Ground

(NO 4172 1510) Church (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map (1920)

The ruins of the post-Reformation church of Kemback stand within the graveyard 200 yards SW of the modern church. The walls are fairly complete but are densely covered with ivy. On plan the building has been oblong, measuring internally 45ft 5ins by 15ft 7ins, but there may have been a cross-aisle on the north. The entrance, a lintelled doorway at the W end of the S wall, is dated 1582, but a second doorway was inserted further eastward in 1760.

RCAHMS 1933

The church of 'Kenebach' is referred to in 1244 as being re-dedicated. It is mentioned again in 1458.

A H Miller 1895

Kemback Church is as described above, and is in fair condition. The walls are 1.0m thick.

Visited by OS (JLD) 24 October 1956

Kemback Church is still as described above.

Visited by OS (RDL) 25 May 1964

?18th century Manse at NO 4183 1514.

Architecture Notes

NO41NW 7.00 41722 15108

NO41NW 7.01 4173 1509 Burial Ground

INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE:

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

Agreement between John Makgill and Helen Schevez of Craigfudie providing inter alia that she is to 'put upon the north end of the yle of Kemback Kirk a stone, having on it, draughts of her own and her predicessours arms.'

1667

GD82/352

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28058, 1937.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions