Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auskerry

Burnt Mound (Prehistoric), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auskerry

Classification Burnt Mound (Prehistoric), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 'Monkshouses'; 'monkhouses'

Canmore ID 3268

Site Number HY61NE 2

NGR HY 67420 16374

NGR Description HY 67297 16341 and HY 67420 1637

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/3268

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Stronsay
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY61NE 2 6741 1637 and 6729 1634

(HY 6741 1637 and HY 6729 1633) Monkhouses (NR).

(Undated) OS map.

See also HY61NE 3.

Simple heaps of debris from which emerge a few slabs set on edge. Without excavation nothing definite can be said.

The name is that given by the local authorities - a schoolteacher and two farmers.(Name Book 1879)

(See also HY61NE 3)

RCAHMS 1946, visited 1930.

The name Monkshouses still applies to two turf-covered mounds.

The more westerly is a crescentic burnt mound about 1.3m high, adjacent to a marshy area. The other, about 22.0m in diameter, is stony and amorphous.

Unable to classify.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 20 July 1970.

A (HY 6741 1637): A conspicuous stony heap, some 22m in diameter and 2m high, with many large loose slabs and some erect earthfast ones. Nettle-grown, it looks more like a settlement-mound, possibly of Iron Age date, than a burial-cairn. The site is mentioned only in passing in the Inventory, but it had been accurately described by Corrie in 1928.

B (HY 6729 1634): On the edge of a bog at the foot of a sharp slope is a fine burnt mound of the classic crescentic form, measuring some 22m along its longer axis and 1.3m high. The application of the name 'Monkshouses' to these mounds is questionable.

RCAHMS 1984, visited August 1983.

Activities

Field Visit (20 July 1970)

The name Monkshouses still applies to two turf-covered mounds.

The more westerly is a crescentic burnt mound about 1.3m high, adjacent to a marshy area. The other, about 22.0m in diameter, is stony and amorphous.

Unable to classify.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 20 July 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions