Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balcarres House

Country House (16th Century)

Site Name Balcarres House

Classification Country House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 32596

Site Number NO40SE 5

NGR NO 47408 04408

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32596

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kilconquhar
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO40SE 5.00 47408 04408 Balcarres House

NO40SE 5.01 48211 03549 Estate Office

NO40SE 5.02 47801 04510 Folly

NO40SE 5.03 47439 04385 Gardens

NO40SE 5.04 47016 04563 Ice-House

NO40SE 5.05 4778 0495 'Tunnel'

NO40SE 5.06 47526 04463 Chapel

NO40SE 5.07 47377 04350 Sundial

NO40SE 5.08 48062 03540 South Lodge

NO40SE 5.09 47380 04678 Joiner's Cottage

NO40SE 5.10 48076 03532 South Gates

NO40SE 5.11 47210 04119 Dovecot

NO40NE 22 47579 05451 North Lodge and Gates

(NO 4742 0441) Balcarres House (NR)

OS 6" map (1920)

The original Balcarres House was built by John Lindsay, Lord Manmuir, in 1595.

A W C Lindsay 1840

Balcarres House is mainly modern, but incorporates the remains of a late 16th century house, which was apparently Z-shaped on plan. The ground floor is vaulted. The hall, which occupies the first floor of the main block, lies NE - SW and has a panelled plaster ceiling of the 17th century.

Adjoining the mansion and to the E of it is the dower house, a plain L-shaped building of the later 17th or early 18th century. It is now two-storeyed, but originally rose at least one storey higher. The interior has been modernised.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1927

Balcarres House is as described.

Visited by OS (JP) 11 June 1974.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Balcarres House was originally built in 1595.

OWNER: Earl of Crawford and Balcarres

ARCHITECT: David Bryce, 1863, additions, North East section and gates

William Burn, 1838, alterations and additions

Sir Robert Lorimer, 1898-1904, Estate Office and Gates

REFERENCE:

EDINBURGH CENTRAL LIBRARY:

Edinburgh Room

Scots Magazine, September 1811 - 1 engraving

SCOTTISH NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY:

Country Life, 9th August 1902 - article and photograph

RYLANDS LIBRARY, MANCHESTER:

William Burn - Plans

Letters of correspondence between James Lindsay and William Burn (copy in NMRS)

BALCARRES HOUSE, FIFE:

Burn & Bryce - Plans (photographic copies in NMRS)

RIBA LIBRARY:

Drawings Collection

William Burn additions to older house 1834, 2 sheets plans

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions