Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elie House

Country House (Period Unassigned), Nunnery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Elie House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned), Nunnery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Convent Of St Mary Reparatrice; Elie Estate

Canmore ID 32568

Site Number NO40SE 26

NGR NO 49544 00762

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32568

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Elie
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO40SE 26.00 49544 00762 Elie House

NO40SE 26.01 49279 00816 Walled Garden; Cottages

NO40SE 26.02 49309 00879 Farmsteading; Sawmill

NO40SE 26.03 49529 00232 South Lodge

NO40SE 26.04 48901 00724 West Lodge

NO40SE 26.05 49590 00415 Obelisk

NO40SE 26.06 49392 00806 Dovecot

Before the early years of the 17th century, "there was no mansion house at Elie, but one was erected by Sir William Scott or his son. It stood immediately E of the present house. The last remains of it were only removed when the late Mr Baird entered into possession".

W Wood 1887

The older house at Elie, built by Sir William Scott, was transformed into offices when the new mansion was erected about 1697. It was cleared away when the Bairds acquired the estate in 1853.

A H Millar 1895

The RCAHMS states that though the present Elie House (NO 4954 0075) is mainly modern, it incorporates older building, traceable on the S side. The masonry of the S wall is coursed rubble, and some of the windows apparently date from the late 16th or early 17th century. The SDD agree that Elie House incorporates the earlier mansion.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 1928; SDD List 1963

Elie House, now a convent, is generally as described. It is not of architectural interest.

Visited by OS (JP) 30 May 1974.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

Tutorial Inventory of the Heritable and Moveable Estate of Sir John Carmichael Anstruther.

Household furniture and furnishing is listed room by room but without detail.

1828 GD 147/27/2/12

Joiner's time sheet for extra work which included taking down and refitting the top flight of stairs.

1854 GD 147/28/2/8-9X

List of the apartments in Elie House.

Measurements given.

1807 GD 147/55/8

Inventory of silver plate, furniture, bed and table linen in Elie House. The items are listed room by room but without detail. Rooms named include Great Hall, Drawing Room, Dining Room, Staircase Hall, Library. Dressing rooms. Bedrooms and Kitchen quarters.

1810 and 1811 GD 147/28/3

1818 GD 147/28/4/1

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions