Lingo
Enclosure (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Lingo
Classification Enclosure (Period Unassigned)
Canmore ID 32496
Site Number NO40NE 2
NGR NO 4992 0846
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32496
- Council Fife
- Parish Carnbee
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO40NE 2 4992 0846.
NO 495 087. An oval enclosure, measuring internally 220ft from NW to SE by 150ft from NE to SW, has been formed by the construction of a bank round the base of a low knoll that lies in an undulating pasture field 700 yds SW of Lingo. The bank, built of earth derived from an internal quarry-ditch, has been reduced by cultivation to a height of not more than 1ft, and is spread to a width of from 10 to 16ft, while the ditch is only a few inches deep. A gap in the bank, on the SSE arc, presumably represents the site of the original entrance, although it has no doubt been widened by later ploughing. The interior only rises to a height of some 4ft above the surrounding ground and contains no trace of structures. The work has no defensive qualities and is probably nothing more than a stock-enclosure.
RCAHMS undated TS and plan, visited 22 April 1952.
This enclosure is at NO 4992 0846 and has been virtually obliterated by cultivation. The site was under potatoes at the time of the visit, rendering interpretation impossible, but it is doubtful if anything could be made of the site when the ground is cleared.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 22 August 1968
Field Visit (22 April 1952)
This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.
Reference (1957)
This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii).
Information from RCAHMS (GFG), 24 October 2012.
Desk Based Assessment (27 September 1968)
NO40NE 2 4992 0846.
NO 495 087. An oval enclosure, measuring internally 220ft from NW to SE by 150ft from NE to SW, has been formed by the construction of a bank round the base of a low knoll that lies in an undulating pasture field 700 yds SW of Lingo. The bank, built of earth derived from an internal quarry-ditch, has been reduced by cultivation to a height of not more than 1ft, and is spread to a width of from 10 to 16ft, while the ditch is only a few inches deep. A gap in the bank, on the SSE arc, presumably represents the site of the original entrance, although it has no doubt been widened by later ploughing. The interior only rises to a height of some 4ft above the surrounding ground and contains no trace of structures. The work has no defensive qualities and is probably nothing more than a stock-enclosure.
Information from OS (DT) 29 September 1968
Source: RCAHMS undated TS and plan, visited 22 April 1952.