Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Of Forratwatt

Burnt Mound(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Loch Of Forratwatt

Classification Burnt Mound(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 324

Site Number HU24NW 4

NGR HU 24480 49552

NGR Description HU 24452 49537 and HU 24480 49552

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/324

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Walls And Sandness
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU24NW 4 2445 4953 and 2448 4955.

(HU 2444 4953 and 2447 4955) Tumuli (NR)

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed., (1900)

Two mounds of burnt stones.

RCAHMS 1946, visited 1931

Two burnt mounds. The easternmost was originally slightly crescentic, but about half the mound has been removed, leaving an arc of turf-covered burnt material c. 0.6m high. The other is greatly reduced and is c. 0.6m high.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 15 June 1968

Activities

Field Visit (15 June 1968)

Two burnt mounds. The easternmost was originally slightly crescentic, but about half the mound has been removed, leaving an arc of turf-covered burnt material c. 0.6m high. The other is greatly reduced and is c. 0.6m high.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 15 June 1968

Field Visit (12 June 2010)

Two burnt mounds are situated at the S end of the Loch of Forratwatt. The first (HU 24480 49552) stands on the E side of the burn that flows out of the loch. C-shaped on plan, it measures about 10m from NW to SE by 5.5m transversely and 0.6m in height. There is a hollow in its SW side. The second burnt mound (HU 24452 49537) is situated 25m to the SW, on the other side of the stream. Oval on plan, it measures about 6m from NNW to SSE by 4.5m transversely and 0.8m in height. There is a hollow in its ESE side.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, ARG) 12 June 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions