Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tillytarmont No. 3

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Tillytarmont No. 3

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Whitestones House; North Redhill

Canmore ID 319725

Site Number NJ54NW 80

NGR NJ 5297 4705

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Rothiemay
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Early Medieval Carved Stones Project

Tillytarmont 3, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 1.14m above ground, W 0.91m, D 0.38m

Stone type: red granite

Place of discovery: unknown but in the Tillytarmont area.

Present location: in the grounds of Whitestones House, Morayshire, NJ 5297 4705.

Evidence for discovery: found shortly before 1867 in the same field as nos 1, 2, 4 and 5 on a promontory at the confluence of the Isla and Deveron rivers, North Tillytarmont Farm, but subsequently lost, until rediscovered in 1954 and taken to Whitestones House.

Present condition: the top is broken and the carving is very worn.


One face of this slab is incised with two quite simple Pictish symbols: a crescent and V-rod over a double disc and Z-rod.

Date: seventh century.

References: Fraser 2008, no 46.3.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017


Field Visit (5 February 1964)

The stones, as described and illustrated above, are at NJ 5297 4705, in the grounds of Whitestones House.

Mr Riddoch indicated the approximate original positions of Stones Nos. 2 and 3 at NJ 5331 4715. See NJ54NW 22.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RDL) 5 February 1964; Information from Mr Riddoch, Whitestones House.

Desk Based Assessment (1964)

NJ54NW 1 5297 4705

See also NJ52NW 11 and NJ54NE 25.

There are three symbol stones at Whitestones [House]. Two were found in the field called Donaldstone Haugh (centred at NJ 533 473) and are now labelled Tillytarmont Nos. 2 (NJ54NW 1) and 3 (NJ54NW 80) to agree with Ferguson (1956) and to avoid confusion. (For Tillytarmont No. 1, see NJ54NW 11.)

Tillytarmont No. 2 (NJ54NW 1): This stone was ploughed up from a depth of two feet in 1944. It is of red granite, 4'3" high x 2' wide and 6" thick; it bears the crescent, V-rod, double-disc and Z-rod symbols.

Tillytarmont No. 3 (NJ54NW 80): This stone was first discovered a little before 1867 and re-discovered by W D Simpson in 1954 (Ferguson 1956). It is of red granite, 3' 9" high,x 3' wide x 1'3" thick. Its markings are faint, but consist of the crescent without the V-rod and one ring containing a concentric inner ring. There are pitted marks to the right.

The third stone at Whitestones (NJ54NW 81) was found many years previous to 1903 on the farm of North Redhill (NJ 560 467). The finder re-cut the spiral and rectangular ornament on the left of the stone leaving the ornament to the right as he found it. It is of whinstone, measuring 2'8" high x 1'11" wide and 10 1/2" thick. This stone was first built into a dyke on the farm, then removed to Rothiemay Castle (NJ54NE 7) and then to this site.

(See NJ54NE 25 for original site).

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; W D Simpson 1935; W Ferguson 1956.

Information from OS.

Reference (1994)

(Tillytarmont 3: former location cited as NJ 533 473). This stone was discovered about 1867 and rediscovered (by Dr W D Simpson) in 1954; it bears a crescent and double-disc and Z-rod.


Reference (1997)

Tillytarmont 3 : crescent and V-rod above a double-disc.

A Mack 1997


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions