Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Struthers Castle

Country House (16th Century)

Site Name Struthers Castle

Classification Country House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 31183

Site Number NO30NE 2

NGR NO 37733 09695

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/31183

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Ceres
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO30NE 2.00 37733 09695 Struthers Castle

NO30NE 2.01 37717 09708 Dovecot

(NO 3771 0971) Struthers (NR) (Ruins)

OS 6" map (1920)

Struthers Castle. The remains of a large 16th century house, with outbuildings, which incorporates older work as shown by the double gable on the east. There have also been extensive alterations, probably in the early 18th century. There is not sufficient evidence to show what the form of the first building was, but the 16th century house is L-shaped on plan with the re-entrant opening eastward. The gables indicate that there were three storeys and a garret.

The dovecot is contemporary with the house and is complete, but has a modern roof.

RCAHMS 1933

The building measures 146ft E-W by 87ft N-S and is four to five storeys high.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

"The park around the house of Struthers which is enclosed by a stone wall, contained 200 acres."

NSA 1845 (J Crawford)

Struthers Castle is as described by RCAHMS, the walling being of rubble and 1.5m thick. To the west of the castle stands a masonry pier, 2.0m square, and fragmentary remains of walling, apparently the outbuildings referred to. The dovecot, of rubble, is a rectangular building with a single string course. It is now unroofed.

Visited by OS (DS) 25 October 1956

NO 3774 0970 Generally as described above. To the South of the Castle are the remains of enclosures outlined by scarps from 0.5m to 1.2m in height.

Earthworks surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 16 October 1962

Architecture Notes

See also:

REFERENCE:

Estate plan of 'Struthers Park'

1821

Deposited with Scottish Record Office

December 1993

REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Plan

RHP 23145

Jean-Joseph Couven of Aix

(1701 - 1763)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions