Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bridge Of Weir, River Gryfe, Burngill Mills

Dam (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Sluice Gate (Period Unassigned), Weir (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bridge Of Weir, River Gryfe, Burngill Mills

Classification Dam (Period Unassigned), Lade (Period Unassigned), Sluice Gate (Period Unassigned), Weir (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bridge Of Weir Dam No 1

Canmore ID 307562

Site Number NS36NE 147

NGR NS 3846 6584

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Houston
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire


Field Visit (2009)

Bridge of Weir – Burngill Mills

Mills, lades, dams and tunnels

Stuart Nisbet

On the W side of the remains of the Bridge of Weir Dam No 1 on the River Gryfe (NS 3846 6584), are a curving rubble headrace and broken timber sluice gate. These are the first of a succession of four dams or weirs on a 1km length of the River Gryfe, serving at least eight separate water-powered mill sites, each of which supported numerous mill types.

In an upstream arch of a railway viaduct is an arched entrance to the surviving brick-lined Burngill lade tunnel.

This continues under a derelict man-made terrace (centred on NS 3855 6583), which supported Burngill Cotton Mill (1792) and Burngill Leather Tannery (initially a waulk mill, from the 1770s). The terrace is retained by a 5m high rubble wall on the edge of the Gryfe. The lade terminates in the Burngill tailrace in the river wall (NS 3858 6587), an arched rubble tunnel 2m wide x 1.5m high that exits through a partly collapsed arch and training wall, just upstream of the A761 road bridge.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions