Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Inverquiech Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Inverquiech Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 30695

Site Number NO24NE 17

NGR NO 27805 49641

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30695

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Alyth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes ( - 1970)

NO24NE 17 27805 49641.

(NO 2780 4964) Inverquiech Castle (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

Inverquiech Castle is thought to have been built by Alexander II, or an earlier King, as a hunting lodge, but it was certainly in existence in 1296 when Edward I visited it.

A J Warden 1885

The remains consist of an ivy-clad E wall, described as 60 ft. in length in 1892, which contains what appears to have been a postern or sallyport out to the steep bank on which the wall stands. The castle site is occupied by a garden and various moulded stones from the castle may be seen in the walls of the adjoining farmhouse.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892

As previously described. The external height of the wall is c. 10.0m, its internal height, c. 8.0m. The remains of a garderobe chute are visible in the north part of the wall.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 24 September 1970

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1857 - 1861)

Mason's marks from Scottish churches, abbeys and castles recorded between 1857 and 1861 on 29 drawings in the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Collection.

Field Visit (3 March 1987)

This castle occupies a precipitous promontory formed at the confluence of the Quiech Burn and the River Isla; the neck of the promontory is in part cut by a steep-sided natural gully measuring 18m wide by up to 4.8m deep. All that remains visible of the medieval fabric are fragments of two walls on the E and SSE respectively, and one on the NW incorporating a wide-mouthed horizontal gun-loop. The E wall, rising to two storeys in height, incorporates a garderobe, a drain and what may be the robbed remains of a ground-floor fireplace; that on the SSE has a postern and a plinth. The SSE wall can be traced for a further 38m and may once have extended round the perimeter of the promontory.

The castle is on record in 1296, and was latterly the property of the Lindsays, Earls of Crawford.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/PC) 3 March 1987.

RCAHMS 1990

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions