Abbey (12th Century), Coffin(s) (medieval)
- Council Fife
- Parish Newburgh
- Former Region Fife
- Former District North East Fife
- Former County Fife
NO21NW 5.00 centred 24390 18475
(NO 2438 1846) Lindores Abbey (NR)
(Tironensian - Founded AD 1178)
OS 6" map, (1959)
NO21NW 5.01 NO 2434 1849 Penannular brooch
NO21NW 5.02 NO 2430 1830 Copper Buckle
NO21NW 5.03 NO 2440 1860 Copper Buckle (possible); Copper Key; Spindle Whorl
NO21NW 5.04 NO 24454 18380 Detached section South of roadway
For discovery of cist and human remains near the abbey, see NO21NW 8.
For (adjacent) Lindores Abbey Farm, see NO21NW 142.
Location formerly entered as NO 2438 1846.
Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28173- DC28181, 1870, 1925 & 1937.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
The Tironensian Abbey of Lindores was founded in 1191 by David, Earl of Huntingdon. Though Scotichronicon (Fordoun 1759) gives its foundation date as 1178, this may be regarded as being too early (D E Easson 1957) Reformers sacked the Abbey and expelled the monks in 1543, and again in 1559. It was secularised in 1600.
It is now considerably ruined, the buildings have been robbed of stone, but the ground plan has been defined by excavation carried out about the middle of the 19th century.
Fordoun 1759; RCAHMS 1933; D E Easson 1957; S Cruden 1960.
Lindores Abbey is in poor state of repair.
Visited by OS (J L D) 26 October 1956 and (R D) 10 June 1970.
Scheduled as 'Londores Abbey... the upstanding and buried remains of Lindores Abbey, its precinct and associated walls.'
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 5 October 2011.
Geophysical Survey (25 May 2014)
NO 2438 1845 A ground resistance survey was carried out on 25 May 2014 over most of the interior of Lindores Abbey, excluding the nave of the church which it is intended to cover at a later visit. Apart from previously recorded features, the line of a possible cross-wall was detected in the frater, and there was also a suggestion of a small high resistance feature
in the centre of the cloister.
Archive: Fife SMR and RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Mr A McKenzie Smith and Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society
Don Matthews – Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society