Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lathrisk House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lathrisk House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lathrisk House Policies

Canmore ID 29762

Site Number NO20NE 1

NGR NO 27322 08468

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29762

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kettle
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Summary Record (24 February 2012)

The west wing of Lathrisk House now known as Old Lathrisk House is now self contained and contains the earliest parts of the house. The vaulted rooms on the ground floor are the oldest part of the present building which maybe 17th century. The house was greatly extended to the east when a new front, now a separate house, was added in c.1785. The interior of the earlier house was probably remodelled at this time and has undergone various further alterations. In the late 19th or ealy 20th century the present drawing room, dining room and billiard room appear to have taken on their current form.

Information from RCAHMS (STG)

Archaeology Notes

NO20NE 1.00 27322 08468

(NO 2731 0846) Lathrisk House (NAT)

OS 6" map (1920)

NO20NE 1.01 NO 2689 0868 Ice-House

NO20NE 1.02 NO 2752 0820 Cottage

NO20NE 1.03 NO 2731 0845 Walled Garden

NO20NE 1.04 NO 27140 08411 Burnside (Laundry)

NO20NE 72.00 NO 27409 08314 Lathrisk Home Farm

Lathrisk House, a mansion, has been greatly modernised, the only features of interest remaining being two parallel vaulted chambers on the ground floor. Sibbald refers to its existence in 1710.

R Sibbald 1803; RCAHMS 1933.

Lathrisk House is reputed to date from the 16th century, the older parts consisting of three adjoining barrel vaults, with walls 5ft thick. The front wing was added in 1783 (M L Pattullo, owner, Lathrisk House).

Visited by OS (DS) 26 October 1956

The exterior has been harled and presents no obvious datable architectural features. The vaults are as described by OS (DS).

Visited by OS (WDJ) 21 March 1967.

Activities

Photographic Survey (20 August 2008)

The exterior and rear (west) wing of Lathrisk House was recorded by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to proposed internal and external alterations in response to a notice to record from Robin Evetts of Historic Scotland.

Information from RCAHMS (STG)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions