Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Princes Street Gardens, Bandstand (Old)

Bandstand (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Princes Street Gardens, Bandstand (Old)

Classification Bandstand (19th Century)-(20th Century)

Canmore ID 296283

Site Number NT27SE 638.05

NGR NT 25161 73711

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/296283

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 638.05 25161 73711

There is no evidence on the ground of the original bandstand which stood approximately where the front of the stage of the present Ross Bandstand now stands (NT27SE 238.01).

The octagonal bandstand had a domed and swept copper roof with cast iron supports and bannister.

The building was demolished prior to the construction of the Ross Bandtsand.

The building is not depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, 1852, sheet 3), but does appear on the 1st edition of the 25-inch OS map (1896, ibid), and annotated 'Band Stand'. The subsequent editions of the OS 25-inch maps up to 1931 show the bandstand with additional terracing.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2008

Activities

Note (17 September 2008)

There is no evidence on the ground of the original bandstand which stood approximately where the front of the stage of the present Ross Bandstand now stands (NT27SE 238.01).

The octagonal bandstand had a domed and swept copper roof with cast iron supports and bannister.

The building was demolished prior to the construction of the Ross Bandtsand.

The building is not depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, 1852, sheet 3), but does appear on the 1st edition of the 25-inch OS map (1896, ibid), and annotated 'Band Stand'. The subsequent editions of the OS 25-inch maps up to 1931 show the bandstand with additional terracing.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions