Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Edinburgh, Leith, 19 Water Street, Lamb's House

Linear Feature(S) (Medieval), Wall (Period Unassigned), Unidentified Pottery(S) (Medieval)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 19 Water Street, Lamb's House

Classification Linear Feature(S) (Medieval), Wall (Period Unassigned), Unidentified Pottery(S) (Medieval)

Canmore ID 295836

Site Number NT27NE 1594

NGR NT 27092 76411

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/295836

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Test Pit Survey (14 August 2007 - 15 August 2007)

NT 2709 7642 Two test pits were excavated on 14 to 15 August 2007 in the courtyard to the SW of Lamb's House (NT27NE 4) (a mid-17th-century structure) on the site of intended geotechnical investigations prior to development. Two slight linear gullies, dated to the medieval period by pottery, were discovered in one of the test pits. These did not follow the alignment of the medieval burgage plots. The area excavated was too small to interpret these features with any confidence. In the other test pit a wall of early 19th-century date was discovered, which corresponds closely in position with one shown on the 1849-53 OS town plan. The results of these investigations suggest that any medieval remains in the courtyard of Lamb's House are likely to be severely truncated with only cut features surviving.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS. Report to be deposited with CECAS and RCAHMS.

Funder: EDI Group Ltd.

OASIS ID: headland1-32884

Standing Building Recording (September 2010 - May 2012)

NT 2710 7636 A programme of archaeological work was undertaken September 2010 – May 2012 at Lamb’s House, 19 Water Street. Although there is reference to a building on the site in 1561, dendrochronological dating indicates that the current building was constructed after 1609. The shell of the building appears to have retained its basic form although there have been numerous minor alterations through the years and some significant changes have been made at attic level, primarily with the addition of three wall-head chimney gables. The building has seen many changes of ownership and on at least one occasion was very close to demolition due to its poor state of repair. Built as a rich merchant’s house in the 17th century, by the end of the 20th century it was occupied by at least eight families and had become derelict by the early 1930s. The building was then purchased and repaired by the 4th Marquess of Bute, although it remained empty until it was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland, who converted it into a day care centre in 1961.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Groves-Raines Architects

Donald Wilson, Headland Archaeology Ltd

2012

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions