Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kervaig River, Road Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kervaig River, Road Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cape Wrath

Canmore ID 291045

Site Number NC27SE 15

NGR NC 28859 71739

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/291045

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Durness
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Architecture Notes

NC27SE 15 28859 71730

Single arch stone bridge carrying the minor road from Daill to Cape Wrath over the Kervaig River.Tubular metal guard rail on parapets.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 30 July 2002.

This stone bridge carries the public road from the ferry point on the Kyle of Durness (NC 3707 6602) to the lighthouse (NC27SE 3.00) at Cape Wrath over the Kearvaig River. Constructed in 1828 of locally quarried stone and lime mortar (Stevenson 1828), the bridge comprises a single arch, measuring 9.6m in width by 3.3m in height, which rests on a squared stone abutment 2.3m in height on the NE of the river and a rock outcrop on the SW. The abutment on the NE extends beyond the width of the upper part of the bridge by up to 0.2m on each side. This has been done to enable the incorporation of integrated battered buttresses, the purpose of which was probably to provide additional stability. On the SW side of the stream the footings of the buttresses are obscured by soil that has been back-filled over them, but they are presumably founded on bedrock.

At road-level the bridge originally measured no more than about 2.1m in width between parapets at least 1.1m in height and rounded and slightly splayed at both ends. However, the width of the carriageway has since been increased to 2.3m by removing the parapets along the narrowest part of the bridge and replacing them with metal post-and-wire fences. The splayed parapet terminals survive intact except for that at the SW end of the NW side, which has been completely removed. Surface water has been directed off the carriageway into the river below via drains situated just beneath the base of the parapets. Two drains, measuring no more that 0.2m square, are visible in the NW face of the bridge, but only one is visible in the SE face.

(CWTC08 146)

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, JH) 4 August 2008.

Activities

Field Visit (30 July 2002)

Field visit by RCAHMS.

Photographic Survey (3 June 2003)

Photographic survey undertaken by RCAHMS

Project (4 August 2008 - 15 August 2008)

In August 2008 an archaeological and architectural survey was undertaken by RCAHMS of the Cape Wrath Training Centre (CWTC), Highland. The survey was commissioned as a partnership project by Defence Estates (Ministry of Defence) to provide a baseline survey to enhance the historic component of the Land Management Plan for the CWTC. The survey set out to record all visible archaeological features and architectural structures, map them using differential Global Positioning System (dGPS), digitally photograph them, and assess and record their condition using criteria defined by Defence Estates. The survey also recorded all the redundant and current boundaries around and within the centre. Sufficient time was available towards the end of the survey to enable detailed measured drawing surveys to be undertaken of some of the more interesting monuments within the CWTC.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (JRS) 18 April 2018.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions