Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blairgowrie Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Blairgowrie Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 28756

Site Number NO14NE 56

NGR NO 1811 4507

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blairgowrie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14NE 56 1811 4507

(Location cited as NO 181 450). Blairgowrie Station. Opened c. 1850 by the Scottish Midland Junction Rly. and rebuilt 1895. A 2-platform terminus, with the single-storey office block across the platform ends. There is a bracketted awning over the entrance. Now a store, with the 2-storey, L-plan station house still inhabited.

J R Hume 1977.

This station was the terminus of the Caledonian Rly branch from Coupar Angus. It was opened on 1 August 1855 by the Scottish Central (Scottish Midland Junction) Rly, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 10 January 1955.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 August 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; J Thomas and D Turnock 1989; R V J Butt 1995.


Archaeological Evaluation (July 2005 - September 2005)

NO 1812 4498 (centre) An evaluation was undertaken between July and September 2005 on the site of a new supermarket at Welton Road. This followed a desk-based assessment which established the potential for on-site archaeological remains. The development was to take place on the site of the former railway station, and to the SE of the original core of the town. The station was demolished several years ago, although some railway buildings

survived as stores and industrial units. There had been sawmills on the site in the 19th century, before the coming of the railway, and it was thought possible that traces of these and other earlier industrial and mill structures might survive. It was also possible that the site, lying on a terrace above the Ericht, might have attracted early prehistoric activity.

The site was extensively trenched and revealed deposits of ash, railway ballast and railway debris overlying natural deposits. No features of archaeological significance were exposed. Surviving railway and industrial buildings were recorded. The most interesting of these was a former railway engine shed, which still preserved wooden smoke hoods in the roof space.

Archive to be deposited in NMRS.

Sponsor: Tesco Stores Ltd.

C Fyles 2005.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions