Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newton Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Newton Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Newton Of Blair; Newton Street; Newton Of Blairgowrie

Canmore ID 28716

Site Number NO14NE 2

NGR NO 17169 45273

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blairgowrie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14NE 2.00 17169 45273

(NO 1716 4526) Newton Castle (AT)

OS 25" map (1865).

NO14NE 2.01 NO 17151 45299 Steading

Newton - A seventeenth century Scottish house built on the Z plan.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887

The Place of, or, Newton of Blair existed as an old, strongly-built, half-castellated manor house as early as 1554 but was burnt in the middle of the 17th Century. The building was later rebuilt in much of the former style.

R S Fittis 1879

As described above. Large uncut stones protrude in an irregular fashion at the base of walls of the house and may well be remains of foundations of the earlier building. (see GP: AO/63/069/6).

Visited by OS (RDL) 21 March 1963

This well-preserved Z-plan tower-house, probably of late 16th-century date, stands within its policies on the W side of Blairgowrie. Its main block, which is three storeys and an attic in height, has a stair-wing extruded on the E and a round-tower corbelled square on the W. The repositioned entrance-doorway, protected by a horizontal loop, is in the S re-entrant of the E wing. With the exception of the W wing the main block is unvaulted. Although the tower was later remodelled and extended, it retains some early 18th-century interiors.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS/PC) June 1988.

J A R MacDonald 1899; J G Dunbar 1966; RCAHMS 1990.


Photographic Survey (June 1958)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in June 1958.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions