Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Craighall

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Standing Stone (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Glenballoch Stone; Glenballoch Cottage

Canmore ID 28707

Site Number NO14NE 11

NGR NO 1852 4826

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Rattray
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14NE 11 1852 4827.

(NO 1852 4837) Standing Stone (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed. (1901)

Known as the Glenballoch Stone, this standing stone is a whinstone block 8'6" high and 20' in circumference at the base. On the SE side are cut 13 cup marks, the highest and lowest marks connected by a vertical groove.

J R Allen 1881

A standing stone as described and illustrated. The name "Glenballoch Stone" is not applied locally.

Visited by OS (AA) 29 November 1973


Field Visit (7 August 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

Field Visit (7 October 1986)

This massive standing stone is situated on the forward slope of a terrace 310m NE of the former saw mill at Craighall. Aligned with its long axis NNE to SSW, it measures 2.6m by 1.7m at the base, rising with sloping sides to a flat top at a height of 2.5m. Close to the base of the E face of the stone, there are nine plain cupmarks measuring up to 80mm by 30mm.

Visited by RCAHMS (JBS) 7 October 1986.

RCAHMS 1990.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions