Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Druids' Seat Wood

Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Druids' Seat Wood

Classification Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Blindwells; Druid's Seat Wood

Canmore ID 28645

Site Number NO13SW 20

NGR NO 12483 31320

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28645

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish St Martins
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO13SW 20 1248 3132

(NO 1248 3132) Stone Circle (NR)

OS 6" map (1901)

.

Activities

Publication Account (1859 - 1862)

The Ordnance Survey Name Book (Perthshire Vol.74, p.13) describes this site as 'a circle of 10 large boulder stones one of which is considerably larger than the rest and stands upright. The local tradition is that it is a Druidical Temple.'

Information from HES Survey and Recording (JRS) 22 January 2021

Publication Account (1892)

A complete stone circle in the heart of a wood. One stone in it is a block of conglomerate distinctly squared. There are ten stones one of which is considerably larger than the rest and stands upright.

G C Baxter 1892.

Field Visit (1965)

A circle of 9 stones, about 30ft diameter, much disturbed and heavily overgrown.

M E C Stewart 1965.

Field Visit (5 March 1969)

A stone circle consisting of nine stones (there is a tenth stone in the NW arc but it appears to be off line). The largest stone is erect and measures 1.3m high x 1.4m x 0.6m. At least four of the stones are recumbent. The site has been cleared of undergrowth.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (EGC) 5 March 1969.

Field Visit (6 April 1989)

This well-preserved stone circle is situated in a clearing within a conifer plantation, some 370m NE of Blindwells steading. It comprises nine stones set on an internal diameter of about 7.8m, but only five still remain upright. The largest (no. 1) is situated on the SW, but it is flanked by two comparatively small stones, and short and small stones appear to have been alternated around the rest of the ring. The stones are described clockwise starting with the tallest of the erect stones on the SW.

Stone 1 (SW) measures 1.4m by up to 0.7m and 1.2m in height.

Stone 2 (WSW) measures 0.7m by 0.5m and 0.8m in height.

Stone 3 (W) is a large fallen slab which measures 1.45m by 1.25m and at least 0.4m in thickness.

Stone 4 (NW) leans inwards and measures 0.9m by 0.6m and 0.65m in height.

Stone 5 (N) measures 0.9m by 0.5m and 0.6m in height; it may be the stump of a once-taller stone.

Stone 6 (NE) is a fallen kite-shaped boulder, measuring 1.45m by up to 1.1m and at least 0.4m in thickness.

Stone 7 (E) measures 1m by 0.75m and at least 0.35m in thickness; it has been dragged about 1.5m ENE of its original position and its stone-hole is clearly visible in the turf.

Stone 8 (SE) has fallen outwards and measures 1.75m by 1.1m and at least 0.6m in thickness.

Stone 9 (S) measures 0.95m by 0.55m and 0.6m in height.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 6 April 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions