Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Loanhead

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 28636

Site Number NO13SW 12

NGR NO 14773 32855

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish St Martins
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes (11 December 1964)

Pair of stones, 18ft apart, not aligned. Perhaps part of a circle.

Information from M E C Stewart, 11 December 1964.

Archaeology Notes (2 November 1996)

This monument has been signposted and prepared for public access as part of the South-east Perthshire Stone Circle Trail, administered under the CSA Adopt-a-monument scheme by the Archaeological Section of the Perthshire Society for Natural Science.

Information from Mr M King (Perth Museum), 2 November 1996. Council for Scottish Archaeology 1996.

Archaeology Notes (2008)

NO 2091 3099 – Bandirran, NO 1106 3116 – Colen, NO 1476 3286 – Loanhead – Over several weekends in spring 2008 members cleared vegetation from the stone circles to improve access to them. The circles had been ‘adopted’ in 1996 when the AAM scheme was first proposed and a leaflet has been published by the CSA (South-east Perthshire Stone Circle Trail: A Guide to Three Ancient Monuments).

Funder: Archaeological and Historical Section of PSNS and Archaeology Scotland (Adopt-a-Monument)

David Perry (Archaeological and Historical Section of the Perthshire Society of Natural Science), 2008

Archaeology Notes

NO13SW 12 1477 3286.

(NO 1477 3286) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map (1902)

See also NO13SW 55.


Field Visit (21 February 1969)

The alignment of the NW stone in relation to the other suggests that this is almost certainly the remains of a stone circle. Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 21 February 1969.

Field Visit (19 April 1989)

A pair of standing stones, set 5.5m apart with their long axes at right angles to one another, is situated at the SE end of a narrow strip of woodland some 425m NE of Loanhead steading. The SE stone measures 1.3m from E to W by 0.8m at the base and 1.55m in height, and the NW stone 1.6m from N to S by 0.8m at the base and 1.55m in height.

Scott refers to this site as a 'Druid temple' and supposes that it was once a circle.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 19 April 1989.

A Scott 1911.

Measured Survey (19 April 1989)

RCAHMS surveyed Loanhead standing stones (NO13SW 12) with plane-table and alidade on 19 April 1989 at a scale of 1:125. The resultant plan was redrawn in ink.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions