Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Perth, Leonard Street, General Railway Station

Railway Station (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Perth, Leonard Street, General Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Perth Station; Perth (General) Station; War Memorialplaque

Canmore ID 28356

Site Number NO12SW 192

NGR NO 11220 23139

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Perth
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12SW 192 11220 23139

Perth Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

For Perth, Priory, Chapel and Hospital of St Leonard (within station area), see NO12SW 63.00.

For (associated) Perth, Station Hotel (NO 1126 2319), see NO12SW 324.

(Location cited as NO 112 232). Perth General Station. Opened 1848 by the Scottish Central and Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee Rlys. A very large through station with six platforms. The two Dundee platforms are curved, with awnings (now cut back) supported on cast-iron columns, and, of the other four platforms, two are covered by a massive 10-bay ridged overall roof supported on two masonry walls and a row of cast-iron columns. The old central offices have been modernised.

J R Hume 1977.

A photographic survey was carried out by RCAHMS (1998) as a result of a planning application from Railtrack requesting listed-building consent to demolish the area of the station around Platforms 6 & 7, including the glass canopy.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), 28 October 1998.

This former joint station of the Highland, Caledonian and North British Rlys was opened (as Perth General Station) on 22 May 1848 by the Scottish Central (Scottish Midland Junction) Rly. It was renamed Perth by British Railways in 1952, and remains in regular passenger use as a major station.

It was formerly a major junction, being the pivotal point of the eastern Scottish railway system and having main lines to Dundee, Aberdeen (via Strathmore), Inverness, Edinburgh (both via Glenfarg and via Newburgh) and Glasgow, as well as the Bankfoot and Crieff (Strathearn) branches. Most of these lines formerly diverged at Stanley or Hilton Junctions (to the N and S respectively). Following successive closures, neither of these junctions remains in use as such.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM) 20 September 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes


Railway World May 1978, photocopy of text and photographs by Dr GP Stilley. Missing at tme of upgrade, 16.3.2000.

Arhcitect: William Tite


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions