Fushiebridge Station, Railway Footbridge, Bridge 28
Footbridge (Period Unassigned)
Site Name Fushiebridge Station, Railway Footbridge, Bridge 28
Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned)
Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway; Standpretty
Canmore ID 283420
Site Number NT36SE 142.01
NGR NT 35224 60380
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/283420
- Council Midlothian
- Parish Borthwick
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District Midlothian
- Former County Midlothian
NT36SE 142.01 35224 60380
Footbridge over railway immediately N of Fushiebridge Station (NT36SE 99).
The footbridge has stone abutments and a metal frame with bolted sections for the wooden decking, which is has now been removed or has rotted away.
The bridge is numbered 28, which is painted on to the N abutment on the N side.
A photograph taken in the c.1940's shows the bridge had wooden parapets at that date.
It is depicted on the 1st editions of the OS 6-inch and 25-inch maps (Edinburghshire 1854 and 1893 respectively, sheet13) and also on the current OS 1:2500 scale digital map.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 14 May 2008
Project (April 2009 - February 2015)
The Borders Railway Project proposals are to reinstate the Newcraighall to Tweedbank section of the former Waverley Line. The reinstated railway line will be approximately 48km long and the majority of the route will use the existing railway embankment.
Several field surveys, archaeological evaluations and standing building surveys were undertaken by CFA Archaeology from April 2009 until February 2015.
CFA Archaeology
