Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Balgay Park

Park (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, Balgay Park

Classification Park (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Balgay House Policies; Balgay Hill

Canmore ID 281635

Site Number NO33SE 540

NGR NO 3785 3075

NGR Description Centred NO 3785 3075

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/281635

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33SE 540.00 centred 3785 3075

NO33SE 540.01 NO 37605 30745 Footbridge (link to Western Necropolis)

NO33SE 540.02 NO 37635 30652 Pavilion

NO33SE 540.03 NO 37707 30769 Mills Observatory

NO33SE 540.04 centred NO 3798 3077 Architectural fragments (probably from Nethergate, St Mary's Church, NO43SW 359)

Balgay Park [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1977.

This park has been formed from the eastern part of the policies of Balgay House (NO33SE 194.01).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 June 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2013)

BALGAY PARK

Three parks in one: Balgay, ‘the People’s Own Park’, opened in 1871 (NO 3785 3075, NO33SE 540.00), Lochee, gifted by Cox Brothers (NO 37751

31048, NO33SE 452), and Victoria Parks, plus the Western Necropolis and Mills Observatory - a Victorian 10” refractor telescope by T Cooke,

York, in a 1935 papier mâché dome by Grubb Parsons, Newcastle, (NO 37707 30769, NO33SE 540.03). The only comparable dome by that firm

is in Toronto. These last hills are joined by an elegantly arched cast iron footbridge of 1873 (NO 37605 30745, NO33SE 540.01) with Telford-style

crossed braced spandrels designed by George Hird, Burgh Engineer’s Department. The bridge was refurbished by Dundee City Council in 2005-8.

A bandstand pavilion of 1877, damaged by fire in 1993 was reconstructed as an open-air pergola in 1997, the better to show its original (Saracen?) iron spandrels (NO37635 30652, NO33SE 540.02).

M Watson, 2013

Ref: The Treasures of Balgay (2010)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions