Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bonnington Power Station, Weir And Footbridge

×

Error message

There was a problem with the web service. Click here for more info

Footbridge (20th Century), Weir (20th Century)

Site Name Bonnington Power Station, Weir And Footbridge

Classification Footbridge (20th Century), Weir (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Bonnington Linn

Canmore ID 279137

Site Number NS84SE 131.04

NGR NS 88471 40682

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/279137

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SE 131.04 88471 40682

F B

Weir [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

This weir and footbridge span the River Clyde upstream of Bonnington Linn [name: NS 8834 4056] and control the supply of water to Bonnington Power Station (NS84SE 131.00). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lesmahagow (to the S) and Lanark (to the N).

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NS c. 88459 40700 to NS c. 88484 40660.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 February 2006.

Activities

Field Visit (2010)

This tilting weir takes the place of a dam in a run of the river scheme. The weir is cleverly designed to self regulate by tilting so that the level of water diverted to the penstock intake balances with the compensation flow to the rest of the river. The Falls of Clyde scheme is an important example of the earliest large scale application of hydroelectric power for public supply in Scotland The scheme consist of two powerhouse each with an associated weir operating as run of the river schemes. All elements of the scheme are design cohesively in a modern classical style which was very influential over later developments such as the Rannoch / Tummel scheme. Buchan & Partners, Engineers, Bound plans and sections of Lanarkshire hydro-electric power schemes near Bonnington and near Nemphlar and Stonebyres Falls (1923-1924) NAS Reference, RHP 43551. Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co. 1926; J R Hume, 1976. Archive, Issue 14, 1997; R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Field Visit (2010)

Built during 1926 and commissioned in 1927 this is the second of two (see Bonnington) operating as run of the river schemes on the upper reaches of the River Clyde. The technical concept was designed by Edward McColl and the engineering specification produced by Buchan and Partners of Edinburgh. The civil engineering was undertaken by Sir William Arrol and Co. the powerhouse comprises two vertical shaft generators with Francis turbines connected to 11,000 volt turbines. The Falls of Clyde scheme is an important example of the earliest large scale application of hydroelectric power for public supply in Scotland The scheme consist of two powerhouse each with an associated weir operating as run of the river schemes. All elements of the scheme are design cohesively in a modern classical style which was very influential over later developments such as the Rannoch / Tummel scheme. Buchan & Partners, Engineers, Bound plans and sections of Lanarkshire hydro-electric power schemes near Bonnington and near Nemphlar and Stonebyres Falls (1923-1924) NAS Reference, RHP 43551. Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co, 1926; J Hume, 1976; D C Eve; Archive, Issue 14, 1997, 17-27. R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007, 228-9.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions