Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 2010

Event ID 881906

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/881906

Built during 1926 and commissioned in 1927 this is the second of two (see Bonnington) operating as run of the river schemes on the upper reaches of the River Clyde. The technical concept was designed by Edward McColl and the engineering specification produced by Buchan and Partners of Edinburgh. The civil engineering was undertaken by Sir William Arrol and Co. the powerhouse comprises two vertical shaft generators with Francis turbines connected to 11,000 volt turbines. The Falls of Clyde scheme is an important example of the earliest large scale application of hydroelectric power for public supply in Scotland The scheme consist of two powerhouse each with an associated weir operating as run of the river schemes. All elements of the scheme are design cohesively in a modern classical style which was very influential over later developments such as the Rannoch / Tummel scheme. Buchan & Partners, Engineers, Bound plans and sections of Lanarkshire hydro-electric power schemes near Bonnington and near Nemphlar and Stonebyres Falls (1923-1924) NAS Reference, RHP 43551. Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co, 1926; J Hume, 1976; D C Eve; Archive, Issue 14, 1997, 17-27. R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007, 228-9.

People and Organisations

References