Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Westray, The Lum Head

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Westray, The Lum Head

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Alternative Name(s) Iphs

Canmore ID 2769

Site Number HY44NW 14

NGR HY 42216 49107

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Orkney Islands
  • Parish Westray
  • Former Region Orkney Islands Area
  • Former District Orkney
  • Former County Orkney

Archaeology Notes

HY44NW 14 4221 4910.

(HY 422 491). An Orkney-Cromarty type round cairn, known as 'The Lum Head' at about 150' OD on the east edge of a shelf looking over the north part of the island and across to Papa Westray.

The mound is 5' high, turf-covered, with fairly steeply rising sides. The actual edge is indefinite but the cairn appears to have had a diameter of about 45' E-W and 55' N-S. None of the core is exposed, but the crest appears to have been removed,for in the centre is a hollow in which are exposed the tops of four upright stones which apparently represent the divisional slabs of a stalled chamber.

A S Henshall 1963.

At HY 4220 4910, a chambered cairn, still known as 'The Lum Head', and as described above. Only three upright stones remain, the eastermost on Henshall's plan having disappeared.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RL) 26 June 1970.

The cairn remains generally as described above except that the E slab can just be seen protruding through the turf, measuring about 0.7m long and 0.4m thick. The cairn measures about 16.5m N-S by 14.0m E-W and is 1.3m high.

Visited by OS (JLD) 12 May 1983.


Field Visit (June 1981)

As described OS; this land evidently has undergone

agricultural improvement since 1928 but the tomb seems not to

have suffered.

Information from Orkney SMR (RGL) Jun 81.

Field Visit (June 1981)

The Lum Head HY 4221 4910 HY44NW 14

This Orkney-Cromarty round tomb stands on a high shoulder of an E-facing hill at lphs (60m OD). The oval mound had been partly excavated before 1928 exposing four upright slabs, which were planned by Henshall in 1957. Only the tops of these showed above ground suggesting that a substantial part of the chamber survives. One of the slabs had ceased to be visible by 1970.

RCAHMS 1983, visited June 1981.

(RCAHMS Notebook, Orkney, Na. 2, 28 June 1928; RCAMS 1946, ii, p. 352, No. 1042; Henshall 1963, 205; OR 860).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions