Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Gallowgate Barracks

Barracks (18th Century), Pottery Works (18th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Gallowgate Barracks

Classification Barracks (18th Century), Pottery Works (18th Century)

Canmore ID 273568

Site Number NS66SW 946

NGR NS 6035 6488

NGR Description centred at 6035 6488

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/273568

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 946 6035 6488 (centre)

A desk-based assessment and evaluation excavations were undertaken in January 2003 on the site of the 1796 'Napoleonic' Infantry Barracks, which is also the site of Maxwell's Auld Pighoose Pottery (1722 and earlier) and possibly the site of Hyndshaw's Claypipe Factory - although no trace of the latter was found. The site, bounded by Gallowgate, Barrack Street and Hunter Street, was heavily truncated by railway goods yards from 1889 onwards. The Barracks have largely been removed by the railway activities, but embankments of the old ground surfaces survive along the length of the E and W sides of the site for approximately 3m in width, and lie up against the site enclosure walls which are the 1795 Barrack walls with various modifications.

The foundations of the outer wall of the E block survive, along with the armouries and a large brick drain on the E, and a cobbled surface overlying a brick installation of an earlier phase survives in the W. At the SW corner of the site on the Gallowgate street frontage, deposits associated with the Barracks, Pighoose and also a possible brickworks survive under the 19th-century cobbled rail yard surface. A dump of ceramic wasters, including drainpipes and rims and bases for storage jars and jugs (pigs), was located 1.8m below the present ground surface and in the water table. A 1792 feu map identifies the findspot as within the Auld Pighoose Pottery and adjacent to a brickfield, and it is likely that there is good survival of the early 18th-century occupation levels in the SW quadrant of the site, which is c 2m higher than the Gallowgate street level.

At the NW corner of the site at Hunter Street corner, a curving 'embankment' is all that survives of the pre-1890s ground surface which has been removed to a depth of 5m. The map evidence indicates a kiln on this site, and prior to detailed map research this kiln was suspected of being the Pighoose Pottery, and indeed it may be part of it or another pottery or a brick and tile kiln. In the limited trenching on the pre-1890s ground surface it was found to be heavily disturbed by 20th-century activity, but green-glazed post-medieval reduced ware waster sherds were also recovered, including a jug neck, handle and base, as well as a fragment of a sagger.

Report lodged with WoSAS SMR.

Sponsor: GWM Developments Ltd.

F Baker 2004

Activities

Excavation (20 April 2011 - 24 October 2011)

NS 602 649 A programme of archaeological works was undertaken 20 April - 24 October 2011 prior to a supermarket development. The work consisted of an evaluation of the most archaeologically sensitive area of the site, followed by a watching brief to oversee all ground-breaking works, with subsequent excavations taking place where significant archaeology was encountered. A historic building survey was also conducted, which focused on the remains of the 18th-century wall that encircled the development area.

A number of archaeologically significant features and structures relating to the 18th century military barracks and the 17th/18th-century pottery works and other early industries were revealed and excavated.

Features relating to the military baracks consisted of the truncated remains of the barrack canteen cellar, the eastern barracks privy, a couple of unroofed barrack buildings, and the upstanding remains of the armoury foundations and two other buildings adjacent to it. The majority of finds from this period came from the drainage channels where brass buttons and ceramic pipe stems were prevalent. The soldiers' privy also provided a number of ceramic and glass artefacts.

Some structures relating to the 'Pighoose' Pottery, which predated the barracks, were also recorded. The NW corner of the 1720s pottery building was discovered as well as parts of the flue system and the edges of at least two kilns. The flue and furnace of another small industry predating the barracks were also located. Several pottery waster pits were excavated and provided a large assemblage of red earthenware jug fragments.

Finally, a WW2 rifle range consisting of a series of brick walls/foundations with sand pits dug out of the concrete floor behind the walls was located in the South Tunnel.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: MacDonald Estates

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions