Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Lewis, South Galson

Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, South Galson

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Gabhsunn O'dhear

Canmore ID 272535

Site Number NB45NW 66

NGR NB 4348 5868

NGR Description Centred on 4348 5868

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/272535

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB45NW 66 Centred on 4348 5868

The crofting township and field system of South Galston is depicted on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974), but is not shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 2) which shows only a cluster of five roofed buildings set around a courtyard, annotated as Galston Farm House, and a system of fields. It overlies the earlier township of Ath Cheapach (NB45NW 59).

Information from RCAHMS (KMM) 20 May 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions