Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hermitage Bridge

Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Hermitage Bridge

Classification Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Braan; Ossian's Hall; The Hermitage

Canmore ID 27190

Site Number NO04SW 35

NGR NO 00875 41753

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/27190

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Little Dunkeld
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO04SW 35 00875 41753.

Built c. 1785.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Field Visit (1999 - 2000)

The arched bridge over the river Braan is built from rough, mortared stone, with a free-standing doorway on the southern side. This had a gate attached, although this has been removed. The bridge has had some repairs carried out, apparent from the iron ties set in places along its sides. Underneath its northern end, the bridge contains a small arch giving access to the ledge below Ossian’s Hall and to the small grotto noted above.

The bridge was built by the 3rd Duke, in 1774, presumably to gain access across to some lands leased from Sir John Stewart of Murthly (Dingwall 1995, 23), as well as exploiting and the views of the Linn and the falls. It has since become a major landscape feature and has been the subject of several paintings and sketches.

(HER99 05)

Information from NTS (SCS) June 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions