Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews Cathedral, St Andrews Priory

Priory (Medieval)

Site Name St Andrews Cathedral, St Andrews Priory

Classification Priory (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Warming House; Day Stair; Undercroft Of Frater; Cloister; West Range

Canmore ID 257103

Site Number NO51NW 2.12

NGR NO 51413 16619

NGR Description Centred on NO 51413 16619

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/257103

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Activities

Publication Account (1981)

St. Andrews was only one of two cathedrals in Scotland with a monastic foundation attached, the other being at Whithorn. In 1140 Bishop Robert brought the prior of Scone to undertake the control 'of the priory of the church of St. Andrews'. During the first half of the thirteenth century, the dormitory, refectory and great guest-hall, were built, and building operations continued in the fourteenth century to provide barns and byres. The guest-hall was also completed by this time (RCAM, 1933, 235). Time has been rather kinder to the priory remains. Substantial portions of the chapter house, frater, reredorter and sub-prior's house remain. One of the most outstanding features is the Pends, a magnificent gateway which served as the entrance to the priory, dating in part from the fourteenth century. Prior Hepburn's sixteenth-century precinct wall survives largely in its entirety.

Information from ‘Historic St Andrews: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).

Watching Brief (8 September 2008)

A watching brief was maintained during works in Vault 3 (the southernmost Vault in the West Range, at the west side of the Cloister, St Andrews Priory) to allow the insertion of a concrete floor. A ramp was also to be inserted at the door in the NE angle. Large flat slabs could be seen against the N and S walls and in the SE and SW angles of the room, suggesting that the vault at one time had a flagged floor. The area to be reduced was less than 2 m square in the NE portion of the vault. There were no finds or features of archaeological significance.

Information from Oasis (kirkdale1-60205) 26 March 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions