Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stonebyres Hydro-electric Power Station, Weir

Footbridge (20th Century), Sluice (20th Century), Weir (20th Century)

Site Name Stonebyres Hydro-electric Power Station, Weir

Classification Footbridge (20th Century), Sluice (20th Century), Weir (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Stonebyres Hydroelectric Scheme; River Clyde; Stonebyres Falls; Falls Of Clyde

Canmore ID 255857

Site Number NS84SE 99.03

NGR NS 85511 44022

NGR Description Centred NS 85511 44022

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/255857

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SE 99.03 85511 44022

F B

Sluice

Weir [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

This weir and associated structures span the River Clyde upstream of Stonebyres Falls [name: NS 853 440] and control the supply of water to Stonebyres Power Station (NS84SE 99.00). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lesmahagow (to the S) and Lanark (to the N).

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence suggests that it extends from NS c. 84915 44165 to NS c. 84949 44190.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 February 2006.

Activities

Field Visit (2010)

This combined footbridge and weir takes the place of a dam in this run of the river scheme. The weir is designed much like its counterpart at Bonnington (see separate record) to self regulate providing compensation flow to the river as well as water to the aqueduct. This is achieved by an unusual tilting mechanism. The Falls of Clyde scheme is an important example of the earliest large scale application of hydroelectric power for public supply in Scotland The scheme consist of two powerhouse each with an associated weir operating as run of the river schemes. All elements of the scheme are design cohesively in a modern classical style which was very influential over later developments such as the Rannoch / Tummel scheme. Buchan & Partners, Engineers, Bound plans and sections of Lanarkshire hydro-electric power schemes near Bonnington and near Nemphlar and Stonebyres Falls (1923-1924) NAS Reference, RHP 43551. Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co, 1926; JR Hume, 1976; DC Eve; Archive, Issue 14, 1997, 17-27; R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007, 228-9.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions