Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View showing construction work at site of weirs, Stonebyres hydroelectric power station.

SC 877591

Description View showing construction work at site of weirs, Stonebyres hydroelectric power station.

Date 29/7/1925

Collection Scottish Power

Catalogue Number SC 877591

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 28392

Scope and Content Scanned image of Plate 49, Volume 195, PA 123. Stonebyres Power Station, Falls of Clyde Hydro-Electric Scheme, work at site of weir Stonebyres Power Station is part of the Falls of Clyde hydro-electric scheme, the first Scottish hydro-electric power scheme to serve the public. Construction of the scheme began in 1926, and was completed in 1927. It still provides 16,000 kilowatts of power per year. This view shows the base of the weir on the river Clyde from which the water for the power station will be drawn. Note the rickety bridge on the left, and the concrete mixer driven by a portable steam engine. The concrete from the mixer slides down a chute into wheelbarrows, which are used to place it in the weir. There were two power stations in the Falls of Clyde scheme, the larger at Bonnington, above Lanark, and this smaller one at Stonebyres, below that town. Both are still in use, though the equipment in them has been replaced. Later schemes in the Highlands and in Galloway were modelled on this one. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/877591

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution & Restricted Use Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Scottish Power Collection)

Licence Type: Limited

You may solely view this material on the Canmore Site. No other use is permitted.

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions