Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stonebyres Hydro-electric Power Station, Aqueduct

Aqueduct (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stonebyres Hydro-electric Power Station, Aqueduct

Classification Aqueduct (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Stonebyres Hydroelectric Scheme; River Clyde; Stonebyres Falls; Falls Of Clyde

Canmore ID 255385

Site Number NS84SE 99.01

NGR NS 8506 4418

NGR Description NS c. 8506 4418 to NS c. 8552 4405

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/255385

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS84SE 99.01 c. 8506 4418 to c. 8552 4405

Activities

Field Visit (2010)

This pipeline links the outlet from the aqueduct and surge tank to the main powerhouse below. The Falls of Clyde scheme is an important example of the earliest large scale application of hydroelectric power for public supply in Scotland The scheme consist of two powerhouse each with an associated weir operating as run of the river schemes. All elements of the scheme are design cohesively in a modern classical style which was very influential over later developments such as the Rannoch / Tummel scheme. Buchan and Partners, Engineers, Bound plans and sections of Lanarkshire hydro-electric power schemes near Bonnington and near Nemphlar and Stonebyres Falls (1923-1924) NAS Reference, RHP 43551. Clyde Valley Electrical Power Co. 1926; J R Hume, 1976. Archive: Quarterly Journal for British Industrial and Transport History, Issue 14, 1997; R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions