Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Princes Street, St John's Episcopal Church, Churchyard

Churchyard (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Princes Street, St John's Episcopal Church, Churchyard

Classification Churchyard (19th Century)

Canmore ID 254325

Site Number NT27SW 184.01

NGR NT 24810 73667

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/254325

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 184.01 24810 73667

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:

Address: St. John's Episcopal Church Churchyard, Lothian Road, Edinburgh

Postcode: EH1 2EP, EH2 4BJ

Status: Closed for burials but maintained

Size: 0.05 hectares, 1.24 acres

Polygon: No

TOIDs:

Number of gravestones: Not known

Earliest burial: 1818

Most recent burial: 1965

Description: Burial ground associated with a church. Only graveyard in Edinburgh maintained by an Episcopal church.

Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 14 September 2005; www.stjohns-edinburgh.org.uk checked 14 September 2005

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (29 April 2008)

NT 24810 73660 An evaluation consisting of peat probing and test pitting to a depth of 0.3m was undertaken in the churchyard on 29 April 2008. The work aimed to establish the depth and condition of any buried recumbent monuments and stub walls. Results indicate that virtually all plot walls present on the 1853 OS plan of the graveyard survive below ground level. Two buried recumbent monuments were also located.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Peter McGowan Associates

Edward Bailey (Headland Archaeology Ltd), 2008

Ground Penetrating Radar (10 November 2009 - 11 November 2009)

NT 251 734 A ground penetrating radar survey of the graveyard at the St John the Evangelist Church was carried out 10–11 November 2009. Several collapses had taken place in the graveyard in during the previous year and the survey aimed to locate areas of possible future collapse. The survey identified several areas of potential subsidence and recumbent stone vault markers that may be at risk of collapse.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Vestry of St John the Evangelist/John Renshaw Architect

Donna M Maguire – GUARD

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions