Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 110 Princes Street

Department Store (19th Century), Hotel (19th Century), Shop (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 110 Princes Street

Classification Department Store (19th Century), Hotel (19th Century), Shop (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Palace Hotel; Debenhams; John Taylor And Son; Austin Reed

Canmore ID 253374

Site Number NT27SE 5288

NGR NT 25049 73823

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/253374

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NMRS Dunn & Findlay Collection Dunn & Martin 1938/39 - plans for alterations.

John Lessels, alts 1868

Princes Street, Liberal Club, Kinnear & Peddie alts 1889

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (15 May 2002)

Male keystone head above entrance to 109 Princes Street has a beard and moustache. The other two keystone heads are also male, each with a beard and moustache. All carved in high relief; all are different.

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1869

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0958)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions