Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newtonmore, St Bridget's Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Newtonmore, St Bridget's Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cladh Bhride; Benchar; Gu Cladh Bhrichde

Canmore ID 25205

Site Number NN79NW 4

NGR NN 7053 9891

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25205

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kingussie And Insh
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NN79NW 4 7053 9891

(NN 70549890) Site of (NAT)

ST. BRIDGET'S CHAPEL (NR)

OS 6" map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903)

Cladh Bhri'd (St. Bridget's) churchyard at Benchar. A chapel existed here at one time.

A Macbain 1891.

No trace could be found of St. Bridget's Chapel although the graveyard Gu Cladh Bhrichde is well maintained and still in use.

Visited by OS (RD), 27 September 1965.

The site of this chapel appears to be marked by a rectangular platform about 0.2m high in the centre of the burial ground. The platform measures 24m from NW to SE by 9.5m transversely, and the MacPherson of Banchor burial enclosure stands on its SE end. The cemetery is still in use.

(KING95 657)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB), 23 November 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions