Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tullichettle, Old Parish Church

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tullichettle, Old Parish Church

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 24800

Site Number NN71NE 7

NGR NN 7671 1975

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24800

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Comrie (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN71NE 7 7671 1975.

(NN 767 1975) Tullichetal Grave Yard (Disused) (NAT)

OS 25" map (1900)

The foundations of the church of the former parish of Tullichetil (now united to Comrie) are still visible about a Scotch mile from the village of Comrie, surrounded by a large churchyard (Statistical Account {OSA} 1794).

Tulichatel or Tulichadle. On the banks of the Ruchill.

J Shearer 1891

The remains of the post-reformation church of the parish of Tullichettil or Tullichettle measure internally 12.7m long x 4.2m wide with grass-covered walls 0.4m high x 1.0m thick. There is no known dedication and the interior is now filled with burials. Tullichettle is the latest correct spelling and the one generally in use.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 29 November 1966

The remains of this church and burial-ground remain as described by the OS (29 November 1966), and are maintained in a tidy condition.

The church has been reduced to wall-footings, and there is a large yew tree by the SW corner. The area of the interior is occupied by numerous level slabs and a table-tomb, while there are more recent grave-slabs and -stones around. The slabs are worked in a friable sandstone which has exfoliated severely, so that no individual examples of early date can be read or identified.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 October 2004.

Activities

Photographic Survey (1987)

Recording of gravestones in the churchyard of Tullichettle Old Parish Church by Mrs Betty Willsher in 1987.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions