Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Rusky Castle

Bastle (Medieval)

Site Name Rusky Castle

Classification Bastle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 24408

Site Number NN60SW 7

NGR NN 6144 0338

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24408

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Port Of Menteith
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60SW 7 6144 0338.

(NN 6144 0338) Castle (NR) (Site of).

OS 6" map, (1958)

Rusky Tower, traditionally the principal residence of Sir John Menteith (c.1260 - c.1325), stood on a small island in Loch Rusky. The building has long been levelled to the ground, the stones being used in building the farm at Muirhouse and houses at Blairhoyle. On the mainland land near the island are the remains of stables, and an area of 30 yards circumference, surrounded by old fir trees, was traditionally used for the training of horses (Fraser 1880).

Rusky Castle can never have been anything but a small peel-tower, and a portion of the residential buildings and offices may have been on the shore, while the stronghold occupied the island (Hutchison 1899).

W Fraser 1880; A F Hutchison 1899.

About two years ago the level of Rusky Loch was raised about 2 to 3 feet and all that can now be seen of the island on which the castle stood are a few stunted trees.

Although no trace of the stables could be found, they probably stood near NN 6135 0343 where there is a clear area surrounded by old fir trees.

Visited by OS (R D) 15 October 1968; Information from Magor C Graham, Estate Manager, Rednock House.

NN 614 033 This castle may have been in existence in the late 13th or early 14th century. It occupied a small island in Loch Rusky. No remains of the castle were visible in the late 19th century, and the island itself has since been submerged by the raising of the water-level in the loch.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

W Fraser 1880; A F Hutchison 1899

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions