Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Finlarig Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Finlarig Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 24194

Site Number NN53SE 17

NGR NN 57500 33832

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24194

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN53SE 17 57500 33832

See also:

NN53SE 69.00 57534 33845 Breadalbane Mausoleum

NN53SE 69.01 57481 33899 Gate

(NN 5750 3383) Finlarig Castle (NR) (In Ruins)

(NN 5751 3387) Gallows Tree (NR)

(NN 5748 3386) Judgement Hill (NR)

(NN 5749 3384) Execution Pit (NAT)

OS 25" map (1900)

The present remains of Finlarig Castle are dated to 1609 by a panel over the entrance doorway. It was built either on the L-plan or the Z-plan. If the latter, the tower at the NE angle has been demolished. It stands on a detached mound which was probably the site of earlier castles. A small modern chapel which replaces the early sixteenth century burial-place of the Breadalbane family, stands on the same mound.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

The castle was at one time surrounded by a moat. The common people are said to have been hanged on an oak tree.

W A Gillies 1938

Finlarig Castle is as described by MacGibbon and Ross. It was probably built on the Z-plan as, although the tower at the NE angle has been demolished, traces of a spiral stair remain. The remains, standing to a height of c.10m are in a dilapidated and dangerous state. No trace of a moat was seen.

Judgement Hill: a small artificial mound with a featureless flat top. Gallows Tree: there is an old tree at approximately this position. Execution Pit: a stone-lined rectangular pit 3.1m x 2.3m and 1.2m deep. Two length of iron chain are fixed to the W side of the pit.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 August 1969

OS (WDJ) confirmed.

Visited by OS (SFS) 18 September 1975

NN 575 338

Although there may have been an earlier castle on the site the present building dates from 1609. It was probably built on the Z-plan, the tower at the NW angle having since been demolished. There is no trace of the moat once said to have surrounded the castle, and a small mound in its overgrown grounds is probably a garden feature.

A small modern chapel immediately to the E of Finlarig Castle occupies the site of a chapel built in the early 16th century.

RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1978

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; W A Gillies 1938

NN 5750 3383 A historic building survey of the castle remains was carried out by the Association's members through late 2004 and into 2005 to accurately record the structure.

A report has been lodged with NMRS and Stirling Council.

Sponsor: the Killin Heritage Trust.

Ray Cachart, 2006.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Finlarig.

Requirements fro making the house at Finlarig 'sufficient'. Report.

1632. GD 112/22/8/9.

Account for mason work at the House of Finlarig.

1688. GD 112/22/8/4.

Account of damage done to Finlarig and the Chapel by the garrison 'lodged there against the enemy during the late disturbance in the Highlands'.

1695. GD 112/22/8/12.

Repair of the rooms of the house of Finlarig. Instructions for John Campbell, Chamberlain of Bradalbane from the Commissioners and the Trustees appointed by the Earl of Breadalbane and Lord Glenorchy.

1721. GD 112/9/41/page 45.

Repair of the House of Finlarig. Payment of #798.3.10 (Scots).

1722. GD 112/9/41/page 148.

Estimate for the wall to be built round the Chapel and Castle of Finlarig and for gate pillars. Masons: John Campbell and Duncan Haggart.

1788. GD 112/22/8/2.

Repair of the Chapel at Finlarig. Account for mason work.

1699. GD 112/22/8/4.

Scottish Record Office.

Breadalbane MSS GD112/21/77-79. 1753 - A/Cs for works at Finlarig.

Vouchers of Factors Accounts 1643-1797.

7/56 Building and repairing 1663.

34/39 Account of glasswork 1683.

111/12 Harling and painting the house of Finlarig and the office houses 1704.

111/42 Building chimneys etc. 1704.

331/50 Receipt for window tax (43 windows), 1754.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Finlarig - Extracts from above. Typescript.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (2004 - 2005)

NN 5750 3383 A historic building survey of the castle remains was carried out by the Association's members through late 2004 and into 2005 to accurately record the structure.

A report has been lodged with NMRS and Stirling Council.

Sponsor: the Killin Heritage Trust.

J S Wood 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions