Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tigh Nam Bodach

Shieling Hut(S) (Post Medieval)(Possible), Shrine (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tigh Nam Bodach

Classification Shieling Hut(S) (Post Medieval)(Possible), Shrine (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Glencalyie; Glencaillich; Gleann Cailliche; Tigh Na Cailliche

Canmore ID 23898

Site Number NN34SE 1

NGR NN 3805 4271

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23898

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fortingall
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN34SE 1 3805 4271.

NN 3805 4271. 'Tigh na Cailliche' (A L F Rivet, 1961) or 'Taigh-nam- Bodach' (A C Thomas and A Ross) is a simple pagan shrine.

Shielings in the area were in use until after 1782 and the inhabitants regularly thatched it. Within there were twelve stones resembling human beings, perhaps associated with St Meuran and his eleven disciples (D Campbell 1888).

The biennial rethatching of the shrine continued down to the present century and is paralleled by early traditions of ritual at a temple in France (A Ross 1967).

'Taigh-nam-Bodach' is a small stone-built structure, roughly rectangular and measuring 2.0m x 1.3m with walls 0.4m high, with an entrance to the east, and roughly roofed with stone slabs. Three of the 'figures' are at the entrance and three other possible figures are among the stones of the roof. These figures are pieces of sandstone weathered into a rough resemblance to human figures.

There are no local traditions regarding their origin but Mr Bissett (gamekeeper) still puts the figures inside the hut in the winter and takes them out in the spring. This action has vague associations with good weather (Scots Mag 1979).

Two possible shielings are visible to the east and north-east but they are too ruinous for certain identification.

Visited by OS (EG) 12 July 1962

Not visited. Access was refused due to deer-shooting, but the staff in the Meggernie Estate Office state that the shrine is unchanged.

Visited by OS (RD) 9 September 1969

Tigh nam Bodach (NR)

OS 6" map (1968)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions