Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Howietoun Fish Farm

Fish Farm (19th Century), Summerhouse (19th Century)

Site Name Howietoun Fish Farm

Classification Fish Farm (19th Century), Summerhouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Running House; Summer House; Workshop; Brown Trout Fishery

Canmore ID 236853

Site Number NS78NE 49

NGR NS 78513 88381

NGR Description Centred on NS 78514 88381

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/236853

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish St Ninians
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Site Management (8 July 2008)

Internationally renowned fishery situated on raised ground comprising a complex of fish ponds and structures associated with the breeding, feeding and transporting of the fish and running of the farm.

SUMMER HOUSE: 1886. Centrally placed within the broodstock pond to N of complex. Elongated octagonal-plan, timber framed structure resting on ashlar band course and plinth of alternating red and yellow brick headers and supported on 6 octagonal brick piers linked by arches. Timber laid in diamond and herring-bone patterns and painted white, separated by green painted timber uprights. Piended central hexagonal-plan roof (with flat top) and pitched gables to E and W, slated. Leaded ladders built into roof. Tripartite window to E; canted window to S angle; entrance door with flanking windows to porch to W. Originally leaded casement, top hung and fixed windows (some replaced by plate glass). Pine lined interior walls and hexagonal roof.

Sir James Maitland has been dubbed the 'father of scientific aquaculture' (Lannon); through scientific experimentation he pioneered fish farming techniques and set the standard for modern fish farming. He also applied marketing and business skills to create a successful operation, making use of improving road, rail and communication networks as well as the fashion for fish ponds on private estates

Following James Maitland's death in 1897, the farm remained in the family until 1967 when the estate was broken up. The fishery fell into disuse until it was bought by the University of Stirling in 1979 for the Institute of Aquaculture and was brought back into operation following a major overhaul. Howietoun is used for the practical training of British and international students in modern aquaculture techniques, as well as operating on a small commercial basis. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions