Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalmally Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Dalmally Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Canmore ID 23649

Site Number NN12NE 15

NGR NN 15986 27198

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23649

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Glenorchy And Inishail (Argyll And Bute)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NN12NE 15.00 15986 27198

Dalmally Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, May 2009.

NN12NE 15.01 NN 16040 27193 Signal Box

NN12NE 15.02 NN 15929 27221 and NN 15902 27224 Railway Cottages

Callander and Oban Railway

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NN 161 271). Dalmally Station, opened 1880 by the Callander and Oban Railway. A two-platform through station. The main offices are on thwe up platform, in a two-storey, red-sandstone building, with a one-storey wing, both with crow-stepped gables. On the platform side is a steel-framed glazed awning supported on cast-iron columns. There is a wood and brick signal box, also on the up platform.

J R Hume 1977.

During August 1999, RCAHMS conducted a photographic survey of Dalmally Railway Station and signal box. The purpose of this survey was to enhance and augment the existing holdings of the National Monuments Record Scotland.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), August 1999.

This intermediate station on the Crianlarich-Oban secondary line of the former Caledonian Railway was opened (by thw Callander and Oban Railway) on 1 May 1877. It was grouped into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

The station is exceptional on this line in being of red sandstone construction. The down platform retains a granite heron-fountain, but this is inoperative, as is the signal box.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 May 2009.

C E J Fryer 1989; R V J Butt 1995.

Site Management (23 November 1990)

2-storey, 3-bay station house with single storey wing containing station offices. Red sandstone squared and coursed rubble. Base and string courses. Crowstepped gables. ENTRANCE ELEVATION: 3 bays; doorway to outer right, window to centre and left. 3 windows at first floor. Crowstepped gable to centre with wallhead stack. PLATFORM ELEVATION: pitched glazed awning with ornamental brackets on iron columns, with square serrations along valancing, with V-shaped section to gable ends to match brackets. Plate glass sash and case windows. Slate roof, gable stacks.

The Callender and Oban railway line engineered by B and E Blyth, was promoted as an extension of the Dunblane and Callender Railway and became part of the Caldonian. From 1873 it terminated at a terporary station at Tyndrum, the section from Tyndrum to Oban was finally opened in 1880. The two remaining station houses on this part of the line are at Taynuilt and Oban. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions