Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dundee, Balgay Park, Footbridge

Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dundee, Balgay Park, Footbridge

Classification Footbridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Balgay House Policies; Balgay Hill; Western Necropolis

Canmore ID 233275

Site Number NO33SE 540.01

NGR NO 37605 30745

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Dundee, City Of
  • Parish Dundee (Dundee, City Of)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District City Of Dundee
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO33SE 540.01 37605 30745

Formerly entered as NO33SE 540 at cited location NO 37590 30743.


OS 1:1250 map, 1977.

This footbridge carries a footpath across a park access drive, and provides a link to the Western Necropolis (NO33SE 627).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 7 June 2006.


Publication Account

This elegant cast-iron arch footbridge, with a main span of 7712 ft clear and an ornamentally bracketed horizontal span on each side of 1612 ft, was erected in or soon after 1872 by Dundee Town Council. It crosses a valley separating the Western Necropolis cemetery from Balgay Park, theopening of which in 1871 is recorded on the bridge plaque. Each main arch ‘I’ beam is cast in three parts, bolted at their ends, and has a rise of 1034 ft. The footway, originally timber,

has a clear width of 8 ft and is about 42 ft above the roadway.

The bridge was designed by George Hird of the Burgh Engineer’s Department and the tender of Messrs. Macdonald of £500 for its erection was accepted in April 1872.

A proposal of 1902 to place three strands of barbed wire horizontally along the bridge, on brackets adjoining each parapet, to ‘ensure greater safety to the public’ was approved and then rescinded. In 1929 the bridge, by then with a reinforced concrete deck, was repaired and strengthened by the Council’s works department and Caledon Shipbuilding and Engineering Co.

This bridge is an outstanding local example of a traditional type which by 1900 had been largely superseded by the steel bridge. It is in a popular and environmentally

dramatic setting. Although the bridge is superficially in a poor state of repair and closed at present it is well worthy of refurbishment. The origin of its lattice spandrel bracing stemmed indirectly from Telford’s development of this concept from 1810–26.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007b

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.


Constructed c.1872. Design by by George Hird of the Burgh Engineer’s Department and the tender of Messrs. Macdonald of £500 for its erection was accepted in April 1872.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions