Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Port Kale, Cable House

Telecommunications Structure (20th Century)

Site Name Port Kale, Cable House

Classification Telecommunications Structure (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dunskey Estate; Dunskey Burn; Port Mora; Laird's Bay Cable House

Canmore ID 232763

Site Number NW95NE 34

NGR NW 99129 55262

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/232763

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Portpatrick
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NW95NE 34 99129 55262

See NX05NW 9.00 Dunskey House.

Cable House [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map [no date available].

Part of Dunskey House Estate.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

This purpose-built cable house adjoining the beach one mile north of Portpatrick, was constructed in 1852 to

house apparatus for testing the telegraph cable laid between Scotland and Ireland. Because of difficulty in

obtaining cable, a second line between Portpatrick and Donaghdee was not completed until 1853. These cables

were superseded and lifted in 1983.

The cable house is double hexagonal in plan with rendered walls, masonry quoins and a pointed tiled roof.

It is on the Dunskey Estate and now disused. The cable laying contractor was Newall & Co. of Gateshead and the cable was made by the Magneto Electric Telegraph Co. Ltd.

Paxton and Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions