Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders

Date 2007

Event ID 574843

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/574843

This purpose-built cable house adjoining the beach one mile north of Portpatrick, was constructed in 1852 to

house apparatus for testing the telegraph cable laid between Scotland and Ireland. Because of difficulty in

obtaining cable, a second line between Portpatrick and Donaghdee was not completed until 1853. These cables

were superseded and lifted in 1983.

The cable house is double hexagonal in plan with rendered walls, masonry quoins and a pointed tiled roof.

It is on the Dunskey Estate and now disused. The cable laying contractor was Newall & Co. of Gateshead and the cable was made by the Magneto Electric Telegraph Co. Ltd.

Paxton and Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

People and Organisations

References