Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunglass Castle, Obelisk, Memorial To Henry Bell

Commemorative Monument (19th Century)

Site Name Dunglass Castle, Obelisk, Memorial To Henry Bell

Classification Commemorative Monument (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dunglass Castle Policies; Bell's Monument

Canmore ID 232088

Site Number NS47SW 7.01

NGR NS 43770 73531

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/232088

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Old Kilpatrick (Dumbarton)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Architecture Notes

NS47SW 7.01 43770 73531

Bell's Monument [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, April 2009.

Formerly entered as NS47SW 123.

For monument to Henry Bell at Helensburgh Esplanade (NS 29381 82323), see NS28SE 109.

For flywheel and anvil in Hermitage Park, Helensburgh (at NS 29855 82784), see NS28SE 236.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (26 September 2017)

A stone obelisk erected in 1839 as a memorial to engineer Henry Bell stands within the grounds of Dunglass Castle, on the rocky promontory which projects from the north bank of the River Clyde. Henry Bell (1767-1830) designed the paddle steamer Comet, which launched in 1812 and provided the first regular steamship service on the Clyde. The obelisk is thought to have been erected by Edward Morris, friend and biographer of Bell, or by the Clyde Trustees (MacLeod 2007:188). Further monuments to Bell stand at the Rhu Churchyard (NS28SE 31.01), and on the esplanade, Helensburgh (NS28SE 109).

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 26 September 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions