Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linhouse Water, Railway Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Site Name Linhouse Water, Railway Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Linthouse Glen; Linhouse Viaduct; Linthouse Viaduct

Canmore ID 232023

Site Number NT06SE 44

NGR NT 07664 64791

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/232023

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Kirknewton (West Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Linhouse, 1589

Lovely crowstepped mansion on the north bank of Linhouse Water extended in early 17th century to U-plan. Normal entrance on the north façade into the western wing. Principal rooms on the first floor. Corbelled turrets. Delightful and ornately corbelled turnpike stair leading up to the rooftop viewing platform. Principal stair to the first floor, corbelled private stair in north-west corner to the upper floors. Eastern tower contains spacious, later, scale-and-platt stair. Roof flatter than original, dormers and harling gone. Fine panelling and original moulded fireplaces within. Early 18th-century doocot, oblong, crowstepped with two elliptical openings above the doors. Profiting by the fall in the Linhouse Water, a lake was excavated in 1975. The viaduct, 1848, by Joseph Locke, a six-span masonry structure, carries the Caledonian Railway from Carstairs to Edinburgh over the beautiful gorge.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NT06SE 44 07664 64791

The viaduct is partly in Midcalder parish.

A stone built viaduct over the Linthouse Glen and carrying the main line railway from Carstairs Junction to Edinburgh. It consists of six segmental arches and is of dressed stonework.

The viaduct is A listed and was completed in 1842 by the Caledonian Railway Company as part of their main line from the S to Edinburgh.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), April 2010.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions