Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Strontian, Strontian Hotel

Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Strontian, Strontian Hotel

Classification Hotel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 23129

Site Number NM86SW 7

NGR NM 81598 61360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23129

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Ardnamurchan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Strontian Hotel, c.1808 Elegant Regency hotel now compromised by modern glazing and extension, built to replace its wooden predecessor of the 1730s (known as the 'London House' and built to house the mining company's governor and clerk, later becoming an inn).

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NM86SW 7 81598 61360

This small inn was built about 1808 to replace the 'London House', a prefabricated wooden structure which had been erected in the 1730s when the York Buildings Company was working the nearby lead-mines. By 1800, the original building was in decay, and a surveyor's report of 1807, which described it as 'nearly in ruins' recommended that a new public house should be built. The building then erected comprises a two-storeyed rectangular block with a semi-octagonal central bay containing the entrance-doorway, to which flanking wings were added shortly afterwards. The structure is built of harled and whitewashed rubble, with hipped roofs.

RCAHMS 1980.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions