Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Ederline

Burial Ground (19th Century), Gravestone(S) (19th Century), Mausoleum (18th Century)

Site Name Loch Ederline

Classification Burial Ground (19th Century), Gravestone(S) (19th Century), Mausoleum (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Campbell Of Ederline

Canmore ID 22805

Site Number NM80SE 45

NGR NM 86812 02936

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmichael Glassary
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM80SE 45 8681 0292.

(NM 8681 0295) Burial Ground (NR)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

Two enclosures on a small island at the head of Loch Ederline which were used as places of burial by the former proprietors of the Ederline estate.

Name Book 1871.

An unroofed mausoleum, dated to 1727 on a lintel above the doorway is 8.7m square and c. 2m high. No earlier tombstones were located.

Visited by OS (D W R) 12 October 1971.


Field Visit (May 1984)

This 18th-century burial-enclosure is situated on a wooded peninsula on the N shore of Loch Ederline, bounded on the W by the outflow of the Ford River and on the E by a bay separating it from the site of Old Ederline House (en.1*). It measures 7.4m square within walls of lime-mortared rubble masonry 0.55m thick and terminating in a slab coping at a height of 2.1m. The entrance-doorway, in the E wall, has a lintel and jambs with rounded arrises, all of chlorite-schist; a stone above the lintel bears the incised date 1727. There are six shallow recesses for mural tablets in the w wall, and four more in the E wall, but all are empty. Two headstones in a metal-railed enclosure to the N commemorate Alexander Campbell of Ederline, who died in 1841, and his wife and children. The older enclosure was presumably built as a burial-place for earlier members of the same family.

RCAHMS 1992, visited May 1984


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions