Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dunfermline, Bruce Street, Canmore Linen Works

Furniture Showroom (20th Century), Linen Mill (19th Century), Silk Factory (20th Century), Warehouse (20th Century)

Site Name Dunfermline, Bruce Street, Canmore Linen Works

Classification Furniture Showroom (20th Century), Linen Mill (19th Century), Silk Factory (20th Century), Warehouse (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cousin's Lane; Thomson's World Of Furniture; Winterthur Silks Ltd; Damside Street; J & T Alexander

Canmore ID 225374

Site Number NT08NE 445

NGR NT 08976 87737

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/225374

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Dunfermline
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NT08NE 445 08980 97730

Former Canmore Linen works now converted for use as a furniture warehouse and shop.

Depicted but not annotated on the 2nd edition of the 25-inch OS map (Fifeshire, 1896), by the Revision edition of 1914-15 (ibid) it is annotated 'Canmore Worls (Linen, Damask)'.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), Janaury 2008

Activities

Standing Building Recording (16 April 2010 - 11 January 2011)

AOC Archaeology were commissioned by Barr Construction Ltd, on behalf of Tescos Stores, to undertake an historic building survey of the former mill buildings at Winterthur Lane in Dunfermline as part of a condition on the planning consent. The works were undertaken to the specifications of the Fife Council Archaeological Service, who advise the Fife Council on archaeology in relation to planning matters. The mill complex was built by J and T Alexander as a damask linen manufacturers in 1867 and was in production until the late 1920s, when it was succeeded by the Winterthur Silk Company, who continued to produce silk until the early 1970s. The site was then broken up into smaller units, the largest of which was Thomson's World of Furniture. The site has been abandoned since the 2000s and in September 2010, suffered a large amount of fire damage. It was for this reason that the interior recording of the mill, which was planned to form part of this survey, was not undertaken. However, some investigation of the interior was gained prior to the fire in a reconnaissance visit and subsequently during the soft strip just prior to the demolition under the health and safety supervision of the demolition contractor.

Information from OASIS ID: aocarcha1-96096 (D Sproat) 2011

Watching Brief (9 November 2011 - 2 April 2012)

An archaeological watching brief was undertaken by AOC Archaeology Group on behalf of Barr Limited during the initial site preparation for a supermarket development on the site of the former Canmore Linen Works, Dunfermline. The scope of the works was determined by Fife Council in order to record the extent and significance of any archaeological remains which may be present within the development area. A small number of archaeologically significant features and structures relating to the Industrial and possibly post medieval period were revealed and recorded. The majority of the features were located to the south of the Mill Dam area but were heavily truncated by modern activity.

Information from Oasis (aocarcha1-123200) 26 March 2013

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions